Outdoor living areas are an amazing way to add significant value and entertaining space to your home using your existing backyard. With a few additions of outdoor furniture, rugs and throws, it’s surprising just how much an outdoor area with built shade can contribute to a very homey feel.
But when it comes to entertaining in outdoor spaces, whether it be winter, spring, summer, or autumn, it is always a good idea to be vigilant against insects and pests that may interfere with your merriment. Below are a few things that you can do to keep your outdoor area pest-free.
- Regular cleaning is a must! Really get into the nooks and crannies of your patio or pergola to remove cobwebs and dust. Cobwebs are magnets for pollen, dust particles, and other debris, and thus should be removed as soon as possible. You can invest in chemical sprays to keep spiders away or ask a help from an expert like a Patio Installers Melbourne so that at the end of the day, it is both easier and cheaper to clean cobwebs off corners when you are able to.
- Insect repellents such as bug zappers can be a great investment if you find that there are a number of flying insects around your outdoor area. These are excellent and effective, though you will need to install it in an elevated area next to a power outlet for maximum effect.
- Consider installing insect repellent screens, if you are able to and it is within your budget. Not only would it prevent insects from flying or crawling into your entertaining space, but the added shade and barrier from the heat during the summer can also be beneficial for you and your guests.
- You can also turn to natural options in order to keep away possible pests. Citronella is a well-known insect repellent that is not too invasive and can be placed around your garden and outdoor living area to ward off pests. And because it is a popular option, it’s easy to buy and restock Citronella candles or oils from your local hardware store or discount shops. This being said, be mindful of fire hazards, do not leave open flames unattended, and always remember to put out any candles or burners used if you are entertaining.
- Another natural option is to place insect-repelling plants around your outdoor living space. Some types of plants emit strong scents that can be overwhelming for insects, leading them to stay away. If you are the type who loves gardening, this might be a great option for you! Marigold, lavender, lemongrass (which contains citronella!), garlic, rosemary, and basil, are some examples. Placing these types of plants around the perimeter of your space can really make a difference. What’s more, some of these are excellent to use for cooking, which means not only will you be keeping those pesky insects away from your guests, you’ll also be able to serve up some amazing food right from your backyard.
Professional Contractor, Director, Outdoor Impressions
Anthony Davis is a professional contractor and Director of Outdoor Impressions, the leading authorized Stratco dealer in Melbourne. With extensive knowledge in outdoor design and construction, Anthony and his team deliver design-focused, functional home solutions. With over 50 years of combined experience, Outdoor Impressions provides tailored, lifetime-engineered products for your outdoor living area.